Friday, May 16, 2008

The 25th hour

On the dawn on my exodus back to the States, I find an unsettling disturbance in the things to come. What do I have to look forward to but work and paying for gas? Then again there is the Indy 500, Cathedral people, Chicago, Chipotle, my family, Boo Boo, Kilroys, Ripple, Lincoln Park...ok I guess I'm ready. But what about Central Park, Maracana, elementary level classes, 30 minute walks, The Oil Shoppe, Twice, my fat bachelor pad, daily doses of gorgeous east coast girls...ok well, lets just say a favorable ratio. I'm going to miss it all. Buying bottles like I had money and drinking 6 nights a week will be hard to give up...but it's almost over.

But it doesn't have to be...
I could get a job promoting clubs for the Americans studying here this summer. I could live in a Hostel and learn Italian during the day. I could just not get on my flight and stay here. I'll come back some day, well maybe. Maybe not. I stayed in North America for 21 years, I don't see why I can't rip another continent an equal amount of times. On the weekends I can RyanAir anywhere in Europe. I could completely see the world. I could probably take enough online classes to get some sort of degree from Indiana...I could meet an Italian woman and fall in love. We would get married and have lots of kids and raise them bilingually. We could live with her parents until we had enough money to get our own villa in Tuscany. It would be perfect.

Or...
I get on that plane Monday and go immediately to Broad Ripple. I storm through the doors of the Tavern and immediately buy a bottle. After it runs out we slum over to Peppers and eventually take a cab back to Peoni's house and sleep on wooden floors. I could wake up in the morning and walk to chipotle and then have my brother pick me up and drive me to Dan's house at which point we will sail all day. Then comes the Indy 500 I will black out with every friend I have made over the past 9 years. Then I'll move to Chicago and it will be incredible, day games at Wrigley, late nights in LP. After a summer of insanity I will return to my kingdom in Bloomington, and every day after class I can sit on my porch of shingles and drink beer while people watching until the sun goes down. Then I will go to Kilroy's buy 4 long islands until I feel confident enough to walk over to that girl in the corner and buy her a drink. Then I will dance until I am sweaty and make the 50 meter walk home, hopefully not alone.
It will be perfect.

Dave

P.S. Fryman I want my movies back, that's the last time I bring movies to our sleepover, you always hide them in the morning when I make my walk of shame home.

No comments: